Tuesday, December 11, 2007

OMG snow! Part 2

Coming from a subtropical country, the only snow I've ever seen is on TV or in my freezer. So I'm really looking forward to the upcoming winter when I'll experience first hand frozen water vapour falling from the sky. I've been told that the snow in Sukagawa is of the slushy variety, so it'll probably be no fun to build snowmen out of, but I reckon any snowballs I make will be deadly. XD

Speaking of deadly, I've also been warned about driving on the roads here during winter. Apparently it's a lot more dangerous to drive when there's been a light snowfall as opposed to a heavy one, because the snow that melts when it hits the road rapidly refreezes into a thin, almost invisible layer of extremely slippery ice. Good thing our landlord has included snow tyres in the price of the rental on our cars, and all we had to do was change them over at the local servo.

Excellent service, but my only concern was that they left my car in the station's parking area *with the key in the ignition*. It's probably a tribute to the low crime rate that they can get away with doing that here, but it was still a little alarming when they told me where the key to my car was.

As the month heads into the actual winter season, the birds and insects have gone into hiding or defected to warmer climates, and the air's become colder and drier. I was in class one time, but stopped halfway to look out the window, grinning like an idiot at this (look real closely):


I'm told I'll get over all that pretty snow fairly quickly once it gets really cold, but I think I'll indulge the n00b in me for a little while longer. ^^

Eeee... pretty! Even though I know some snowflakes are six-sided, it was still really cool to see one up close. I was in my neighbour's car while on the way to work one day when the snow started and some fell on the windscreen. Good thing I wasn't the one driving, because I was too busy examining the 3-4mm snow crystals and picking out the perfect ones. *.*

I can't wait to see snow piled up in the neighbourhood nearer to January. Snowball fight!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Don't listen to the naysayers. Snow will never get old. Viva la neige!