Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Masochism, pure and simple


So I decided to give the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) a go this year, to give myself an extra push towards basic fluency. I really should have taken the advice I got at the shrine at the Tsuruga Castle in Aizu, which was to concentrate on one thing at a time. Due to driving classes and other distractions related to settling into a new country, I haven't been able to get down to any serious study since I got here, even with the correspondence materials provided by CLAIR. So it was with much trepidation that I headed up to Sendai for the Level 3 JLPT on Sunday, knowing full well just how much I didn't yet know of the language.

The phrase "on a wing and a prayer" never felt so appropriate. XD

The trip up was uneventful, being quick and painless by shinkansen. Okay maybe it does hurt my wallet a little, seeing as I had to spend money on accommodation and transport during the JET Mid Year Conference just a few days before. Once we got there though, it was quite a surprise to see a bustling city of one million people crammed into a place less than half the size of Adelaide. It felt for a moment like I was back in Tokyo, except the city had a vaguely retro feel about it, like it was still trying to shake off the trappings of the 70s.

After living here for a while, it feels a little strange to see a whole bunch of non-Japanese people in one place at the same time. Though I really shouldn't be, given that I've lived in largely multiracial communities all my life, I'm quite surprised at the diversity of Japan's expatriate population. Aside from the usual JET contingent, there were mainland Chinese, Filipino and Indian people, and one guy from Ghana taking the test in the same room as I was. I guess I hadn't expected such an international presence outside major cities like Tokyo.

The United Nations aside, the test itself was murder. I had a bad feeling the writing and vocabulary part of the test was the easiest, and I was proved right when the listening section zipped by before I could say, "sorry, what was that again?". It was nothing compared with the reading comprehension and grammar section, where the combination of post-lunchtime sleepies and lack of grammar knowledge probably torpedoed any hope of me passing this year. Stay tuned in February though, when they'll release the results and I shall promptly go drown my sorrows in a bucket of sake.

I reckon a large number of us were pretty depressed about the exam, so I decided that a little retail therapy was in order. Being a major city, Sendai has a major shopping area, part of which is covered and protected from the wind and rain. The imminent festive season also means that these shopping boulevards are decked out in fairy lights and Christmas decorations, the likes of which are shown below:



In Japan, Santa has black hair and wears kimono. XD

To cut a long story short, we (being my neighbour and I) visited several anime, comic and hobby stores, and came away with gashapon, mini figurines, a plush Chocobo white mage and a statue of Xecty Ein from Shining Wind (I hold you responsible for this, Sent! XD). So much for keeping to budget this month. >.>

We found a little cafe on the upper floors of a shopping centre next to the JR Sendai station serving very delicious looking omurice. I ordered the prawn and tomato sauce omurice and it looked like this:


If you think it looks good, it tasted even better. ^^ The rice had tomato and mushrooms in it, the egg was just right, not overcooked nor runny, and at just over ¥900 for the rice, a soft drink and a green tea soft serve cone, it was a great relief for the hip pocket.

Taking the route bus on the way back brought back memories of that eventful night in Tokyo on the midnight bus, though this time we managed to get back by 10:30. The ride was long, but it gave us plenty of time to look over our loot from the afternoon and fangirl (or fanboy) over all that nice anime stuff. ^^

So much for the JLPT. I'm going to take this week off at least, and start on studying the rest of my CLAIR materials only after this weekend.

Or maybe after Christmas.

... make that New Year's. XD

ps: It's customary for students taking exams to be given Kit Kat to eat, because the Japanese pronunciation of the brand sounds like "I'll definitely make it", hence the chocolate bar in the picture above. You know what they say, when in Rome...

No comments: