Friday, December 14, 2007

Mr Ed comes to Dinner

Japan is a land of many culinary delights, including gems like sea urchin roe, octopus tentacles, natto and deep fried crickets. I'll try almost anything once, but when I found raw horsemeat (馬刺 - basashi) in the supermarket, I have to admit it took a very long time for me to overcome my reluctance towards eating my birth animal. Though I probably shouldn't have been, since I recall I was fed a German sausage when I was a kid, only to be told later it was made of My Little Pony.

Anyway I eventually decided to bite the bullet and partake of a little astrological cannibalism, just so I can say I took advantage of all the gastronomic opportunities this country has to offer:

I suspect these are the leftovers from the horse races in Fukushima city. >.> Well, waste not, want not, I always say.

Okay, so I did hesitate a little when it came down to the wire. It was hard to reconcile those delicious looking slices of rich, glossy red meat with Phar Lap, but omnivorous instincts eventually won out, and I must say the taste is quite pleasant, like slightly gamey raw beef. The togarashi (Japanese 7-spice pepper) miso dipping sauce in the pack really went well with it, and I reckon it would taste good even on a slab of grilled cow.

I dunno if I'll try this again, given that it's not the cheapest meat around, but I suppose it's better to have lived a bit than never know what it was like. I hear that they serve schoolkids whale meat for lunch in the big city up north... *flee*

No comments: