Monday, October 1, 2007

Radio JHS - Gooooooooood Morning 三中ぅぅぅぅぅぅ...!!!


Japanese people seem to love having music wherever they go (hence the invention of the Walkman) and my school is no exception. During lunchtime, the AV club students use the school's broadcast studio to play music so everyone else can eat their lunch to the strains of the latest pop songs.

The favourite seems to be an instrumental version of Whitney Houston's 80s hit "Saving All My Love" (ok, maybe not the latest, but the Jpop ones are!), which kicks off almost every lunchtime. I've asked, but no one seems to really know that the song is about a woman in love with a married man, and when I shared that little nugget of information with one of the English teachers she was just a tad embarrassed ^^

Today, I got to be a guest on the student council's "Seito-kai Time", where they asked me a few (thankfully) nonintrusive questions about where I was from, how many languages I spoke and so on. I had to help out the poor kid who was reading the questions in English because there were quite a few long words that were hard to pronounce. ^^ Man, I feel like a star now.

Before I bask in my own fame, I suppose I should mention that no one actually translated my replies back into Japanese, so everyone probably had no idea what I was saying. *sigh* Fame, she is a fickle thing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like the Japanese's love for playing WHAM!'s "Last Christmas" during Christmas here, made more ironic that in Japan Christmas is supposed to be the lover's day!

Oh and get used to people not translating for you, not because they forget, but mostly because they can't (yes, even some of the English teachers). It's an incentive to learn Japanese and start to speak for yourself. ;)

aliene said...

Their love for that Whitney Houston song puts fear in my heart.