Saturday, August 11, 2007

Welcome to Pia Carrot (image intensive)

So I'm living in what is considered the sticks by Japanese standards. It's not too bad really, compared to the agricultural areas in Australia; I even have a really swish apartment with all the mod cons I could ask for. So how's about a tour, eh?

Pardon the crappy layout. I worked on this the whole night and it stuffed up when I actually published. Yeesh.



This is Carrot, the 6-unit apartment block that I live in. Looks compact, but my unit is actually surprisingly roomy. They gave me a second floor unit for safety reasons, which means I get a slightly bigger apartment in terms of overall floor area and layout. Come on in!

I say, it's the height of opulence to be living at the top of a long flight of stairs (oo I made a pun!), but it's not so funny when you have to lug your baggage and groceries all the way up to your room. I reckon I'll run into a bit of trouble on those nights when I've had a few, or if the power's gone. Oooer.
I also have a really small genkan compared to the ground floor units, which make maneuvering around with an armful of groceries a little more difficult than usual. The plus point is that my shoe storage is ingeniously built into the first few steps, so no space is wasted. Gotta love the design people here ^^






Beyond the door lies the lounge, bedroom, dining, TV and whatever room. In short, this is the place where I do everything, from chatting online to playing frisbee. That's one of my work shirts hanging from the ceiling there, right next to my pile o'laundry which is sitting in front of one of my storage cupboards, where I stash my luggage, spare boxes and the occasional dead body.



That's my all purpose dining table/desk/workbench/coffee table in the middle of the room. Though you can't see it, there's a heater built into the bottom, so all I have to do in winter is drape a blanket over the thing and plug it into the power point, and presto! Kotatsu comfort for the coldest of nights!







TV and storage and stuff on the other wall. Yep, that's Gloomy Bear on the shorter shelf and my mattress on the floor in front of the taller one. I leave it spread out most of the time because I couldn't be bothered folding it up every day. For the purposes of a neat and tidy looking picture however, I obliged this time. Don't say I don't never do nuthin' for ya.





Busy little corner of the room, this is. On the side of the wall is my other storage cupboard which I use as my walk-in wardrobe (it really is big enough for me to get dressed in). I keep all my clothes there together with a large green rug (that came with the apartment) which I'll never use because I happen to prefer the more easily cleaned parquet floor.







The ladder you see in this pic can be hung on a rail above the door so that I can climb upstairs to the loft bed. Not that I'm using it right now, because it's way too hot to sleep up there in summer. Meanwhile the ladder itself is excellent as a space saving clothes airer.







What did I tell you about design? This is the bit of the apartment I like best, although it's probably built for people who don't wake up groggy and disoriented. That being said, a sharp 3 metre drop is a mighty fine way to put a 'spring' in your step for the rest of the day. I reckon it'll be just nice in winter, but I'll have to mind the lack of adequate headspace up there. Ow.






Now on to the bathroom and kitchen, which are located just beside the stairs of DOOM. Though you can't see it in these pics, there's actually a lot of trash in the place, but i'll get into the whole recycling thing here in another post. The bathroom area is located just across from the kitchenette, which is really useful in case of full body spills and whatnot. Smack in the middle of the pic are my toaster oven, microwave/convection oven and fridge in the back. Nice to have them right next to the kitchen sink.








My bathroom sink, with a built in vanity, heaps of storage space and extra power point. Being of average height for a change means that I don't have to stand on tiptoe to get to the sink. It's located below waist level, which is a pretty comfortable height for face washing and laundry. Splashage can be a problem at first, but it's something that I'm getting over pretty quick.




Right next to it is the laundry, kitted out with a fancy-schmancy top loading machine and bonus dryer, which is a step up from my old place in Sydney. Good thing I can sort of read the buttons on the machine, otherwise I might have ended up with fashionably ripped office clothes on my first go. Not going to use the dryer unless I really have to, even though it's probably an energy saving model, because I have to offset my massive airconditioner use right now (damn this heat!).





Here's my very sexy shower, with a one man bathtub in the back, hot and cold mixing tap and detachable showerhead. I'm finding that I save lots more water than when I'm using the fixed showerheads we have in Australia, because I have to set it down and turn off the water when I soap up and stuff. Omnidirectional water spray also cleans better, imho.






Back to the kitchen proper. Well, more of a kitchenette than anything else, but I love the compact wall mounted storage and dish racks which really save space but still keep everything within easy reach. The stove is a state of the art direct heat and induction coil combo, which means that I have to invest in steel or iron cookware, but just imagine the energy savings from induction heating! It's also way easier to clean than a traditional gas stove; just wipe and go.








Finally here's my totally sexy washlet, with a built in handwash which refills the cistern with grey water for the next flush. With major water restrictions in Australia, one wonders why they don't bring in these sensible models. Go figure. On the right is the control panel which runs the various sprays of water that uh... clean your.... ah, you know what I mean. Not a Rolls Royce by urban shopping centre standards, but it's pretty close.












With that, I'm gonna have to kick you out of my house, because it's time for those fabulous variety and cooking shows on TV. SMAP x SMAP is on Monday nights, yay! Watch your step on the way out, 'k? And don't forget to visit again sometime!


2 comments:

Debbie said...

AWESOME. And I absolutely love those space savers. :)

amok said...

Hey there! It's great to see you all settled into your new home. The space saving stuff is very 21st century - makes me think of spaceships and arcologies. Looking forward to more updates...