Thursday, August 23, 2007

D-Day

The combini next door is my source of breakfast, in the form of riceballs and bread rolls and delicious Japanese milk. On one of my nighttime onigiri expeditions, I looked across the street and saw a fancy looking shop that turned out to be a branch of a famous cake store in Ginza called 不二屋. Yep, I was also surprised that a big store like that would have a branch out in the sticks, and right next door to me! On closer inspection, they have some really kickass cakes and ice cream on sale, and just walking past the storefront was a serious temptation. I should probably also mention that it was a little unsettling for the staff to see a maniacally grinning weirdo stalking their store. ^^

Now, I've seen pictures and heard about the Japanese penchant for ridiculously rich cakes that are mostly fresh cream, so when D-Day (as in "Dammit I'm older"-Day) came about, it was only natural that I get one of these to celebrate my imminent slide into middle age. Gawd, am I that old already?

Aw heck, if I'm going down, I'm doing it in style!


This is my super cute strawberry shortcake, made of layers of light sponge, sandwiched with fresh strawberries and hand-piped rosettes of sweetened whipped cream. Mm mm good! It took me a while to understand that the staff was trying to ask how long the ETA to my place was, so they could give me insulated packaging if I needed it, but it was all good in the end. That's service, innit?

Anyway, happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, yadda yadda... humbug.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

It was your birthday?? Little brat. I never knew. Ahem hem hem...

"Thiiiis, is your birthday song it isn't very long"