Monday, July 7, 2008

As time goes by... slowly

This involuntary long vacation is really getting to me. It would be fine if I could leave the apartment, but these hideous spots effectively kept me indoors and away from view for a whole week. The doctor asked me to go in for a follow up a week after my last visit so that he could check how the pox was going, and decided that I needed an extra few days to make sure the rash was all dried up and non-infectious. So in order to keep myself from going stir crazy at home, I decided to finish up a few projects that had been running around in my head for a bit. This is also to console myself over the fact that I won't be able to go to the hot spring until all my spots fade (and this might take a long time).

Making bread is always fun, and all that kneading and proofing means a good part of the day gets used up. Here's my masterpiece, honey and milk bread with added virussy goodness:

I forgot to add salt to the dough, and might have skimped a little too much on the yeast, but it was still edible for the most part.

Someone asked me to make them a crochet plush toy a while ago, so I decided to make something extra since it would be a waste if I just threw out the leftover yarn. I had meant to make some kind of placemat or something with only the leftovers, but one thing led to another and I ended up buying balls and balls of yarn from the 100 yen shop to make a smallish crocheted granny square afghan, among other things:

The green knitted scarf came about after discovering that the green yarn I'd originally bought wasn't the right texture for the afghan. the two stick-like things on the scarf are actually beaded hairsticks made from kits I'd bought a while ago, but never got round to putting together. The DS is there for scale. ^^

My favourite item is the little amigurumi peach on the scarf. Here's a closeup with a couple of real peaches, since they're in season right now:

I admit it, I like it because it looks like a little butt. ^^

And here's the pattern, for my own reference, worked in heavyweight yarn using a 6.0 mm crochet hook. In case anyone else would like to try it, feel free. Just credit me with the original pattern if you post it anywhere else. Stitch names and abbreviations follow the UK standard:

Double crochet - dc (single crochet in American terms)
Increase - 2 dc in one stitch
Decrease - pull one loop each through two consecutive stitches, draw yarn through all three loops on needle. Otherwise known as two dc together.

Note: Do not turn or join unless otherwise stated. Exact gauge is not essential, but a tight gauge prevents the stuffing from falling out. Rows are to be worked in continuous spiral rounds. I use a bit of contrasting yarn to mark where rows begin.

Peachy Keen Amigurumi (Fukushima Special)

Body (make 1):
6 sc amigurumi double ring (Youtube link here)
rows 1-4: 1 dc, 1 increase, repeat until end of row 4
rows 5-6: 1 dc in each stitch
row 7: 2 dc, 1 increase, repeat to end of row
row 8-11: 1 dc in each stitch
row 12: 2 dc, decrease, repeat to end of row
row 13: 1 dc in each stitch
row 14-17: 1 dc, 1 decrease, repeat to row 17
Stuff with polyester fibrefill, continue working 1 dc, 1 decrease until the shape is sealed, fasten off and leave ~30cm yarn at the end.

Now the tough bit: pull the end of the yarn up across the outside of the peach and into the shape (including the stuffing) at row 2 and out through the base, pull tight and shape like in the picture, double backstitch at the base to secure, weave in ends.

Leaf (make 3):
6 sc amigurumi double ring
row 1: 1 dc in each stitch
row 2-4: 1 increase, 2 sc, repeat until end of row 4
row 5-7: 1 dc in each stitch
row 8 until end: 1 decrease, 2 sc, until shape is sealed.
Flatten without stuffing, fasten off and leave ~15cm yarn at the end

Using the yarn ends, sew the leaves securely to the peach body. The third leaf is behind the peach in the picture. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Only 2 more days to go... *twiddle*

No comments: