Wednesday, April 23, 2008

omg SLR!!!

Wheee! I finally bought that SLR camera I've been hankering for. Say hello to my new baby, a Sigma 18-200 DC lens with image stabilization, mounted on the compact Nikon D40 body (being spruiked by Kimura Takuya, no less ^^):

No, I'm not giving it a name, just in case you're wondering.

I had originally wanted to hunt down a second-hand model, but since Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara was nice enough to mark down the price of the body and outfit me with a suitable lens protector and fast 2GB memcard I decided, what the hey, let's go for a new set. Everything came very comfortably within my budget, and they even threw in a nice camera bag with the deal. The point card system they had at the shop also meant I used whatever points I got off the purchase to score me a couple of video games for free. Sweet as.

I still haven't quite gotten used to a heavy camera yet, but what pictures I did take after playing around with the controls looks so much better than what I could get on my compact digital camera. To put it in perspective (and focus, shutter speed and exposure), I'm now able to take stuff at 11x zoom as opposed to the 2x zoom on my digital compact.

I'm going to try some of the tips on this site and see what I get. I'm told that the lens I bought isn't as clear as the proprietary model, and that it's kinda slow on maximum telephoto mode, but because I don't know what it's like to use a SLR I doubt I'll really notice the difference. ^^

I do solemnly swear not to use my zoom lens for any mischief whatsoever. Yeah right. XD

No comments: